Edward H. Maginnis
Edward (Ed) Maginnis earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law. In 2010, Ed started Maginnis Law, PLLC which began its strategic partnership with Britton Law in 2020.
Ed primarily practices in the areas of consumer protection class actions and business litigation.
In class actions, he has obtained millions of dollars of relief for impacted North Carolinians including the largest class action reported by North Carolina Lawyers Weekly in its Top Verdicts and Settlements for 2020. His focus in consumer class actions relates to unfair debt collection, illegal assessment of fees, improper mortgage servicing, and credit reporting.
In business litigation, Ed has represented business clients in B2B services, SAAS matters, M&A and shareholder disputes, Telecommunications, Media, Advertising and Web Development, Corporate Intelligence, Strategy and Security, Manufacturing and Supply Chain/Materials, Restaurants and Retail Establishments, Construction, and many others. He has taken numerous cases to trial including a $2M jury verdict in 2019 in a case involving theft of company assets. However, his focus is always on the most practical result for his client, whether that be through settlement or trial.
Ed has previously served as the state-wide Section Chair for Consumer Areas of Practice at the North Carolina Advocates of Justice and is active in various local and national legal organizations.
He and his wife Diane have two children, Emma and Luke.
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- J.D. - 2004
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- B.A. - 2001
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Psychology
- Major: Government
- North Carolina, 2009
- Virginia, 2004 (inactive)
- District of Columbia, 2006 (inactive)
- All North Carolina federal courts
- Numerous federal courts around the country
- Consumer Protection Class Actions 60%
- Business Litigation 40%
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Consumer Areas of Practice at the North Carolina Advocates of Justice, Section Chair