It’s Business, And It’s Personal

What can you do after an uninsured motorist hits you on the road?

On Behalf of | Jun 20, 2012 | Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accidents |

Any Fayetteville motorist who has been injured in a car accident or had a vehicle damaged in a minor fender bender may know how frustrating it can be to work with insurance companies after a crash.

Insurance companies might make a mistake when writing up a car accident claim, or an insurance provider might attempt to prevent an accident victim from receiving the maximum amount of compensation he or she may need after becoming injured in a wreck. Although it may take time — and the help of an aggressive attorney — accident victims typically receive the compensation they need to cover vehicle repairs and medical expenses.

But what happens when a driver is hit on the road by an uninsured or underinsured motorist? How will the victim receive any compensation he or she may need after suffering injuries in the wreck?

Although drivers are required by law to carry auto insurance, not all drivers in North Carolina do, or sometimes they do not carry enough insurance to cover the costs of one’s serious injuries after an accident. Fortunately, there are steps folks can take in order to fight for the compensation they may need and deserve after becoming injured in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist.

After any motor vehicle accident, folks should always exchange contact information. If a driver does not have insurance, an accident victim should look at the individual’s driver’s license and write down the driver’s name, address, phone number and driver’s license number. The accident victim should also record the uninsured driver’s license plate number. This information should then be given to the accident victim’s insurance company and an accident report should be filed.

Sometimes, insurance companies may cover damages after an accident with an uninsured driver. However, to be sure that one receives the maximum amount of compensation he or she may need to cover vehicle repairs and medical expenses, an accident victim may want to consider working with an attorney.

To help prevent other folks from going through this frustrating and time-consuming process after a crash, accident victims can report the uninsured driver to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Source: Reuters, “Help! I’ve been hit by an uninsured driver,” Stephanie Rabiner, Esq., May 20, 2012